Last Updated on August 5, 2018 by Naeem Javid Muhammad Hassani
BASIC STATISTICS OF FORESTRY:
|The total area of Pakistan||87.98 million ha(including AJK and NA)|
|Cultivation land||20.54 million ha (23.4%)|
|Forest area||4.72 million ha (5.4%) (2004)|
|Uncultivated land||22.84 million ha (26%)|
|Cultivable waste (lands which are available for cultivation but cannot be cultivated on account of some reasons like lack of water, etc)||11.46 million ha|
|Unclassified area||28.42 million ha|
Source: Statistics of Survey of Pakistan
AREA BY VEGETATION TYPE:
|Coniferous forest||1930 thousand ha|
|Scrub forest||1639 thousand ha|
|Riverine forest||332 thousand ha|
|Irrigated forest||259 thousand ha|
|Coastal forest||512 thousand ha|
Source: FSO (Forestry Statics of) Pakistan (2004)
CONTRIBUTION OF FORESTRY TOWARDS GNP:
-  GNP is the total value of all goods and services produced within a country in a year, including net income from investments in other countries.
- GNP = GDP + net income from abroad
- How to determine the contribution of the forestry sector in GNP? By value of all final goods after being sold, but actually, it is determined by the number of products not including the bulk of wood produced in the farmlands.
- To asses the true contribution of the forestry sector in GNP and GDP is a more realistic approach, described below:
- In this approach, the contribution of state-controlled forests in the form of timber, f/w, resin, mazri, and ephedra are taken into account in terms of revenue earned by forest department by the sale of these products (in the case of GDP), but for GNP along with all these and the revenue from sale of forest products from farmlands are also added.
- The contribution of State-controlled forest (GDP): (1992-93)
|Items||Amount in million Rs|
- Now Contribution of Forests towards (GNP) ie including farmlands:
- (Let) 1026 million rupees (total revenue from timber, f/w, etc) in a year.
- Farmland timber is 1550 million rupees
- Farmland Fuelwood Rs 500 million.
- Govt fodder Rs 200 million
= Thus the total value is 3276 million rupees
- Total production of GNP = 1818200 million rupees
- So contribution of forestry sector = 3276 / 1818200 × 100 = 1.8%
- Ban has decreased the contribution, only dead, dry, and diseased trees, windfallen are contributing.
CONTRIBUTION OF FORESTRY TO SOCIAL WELFARE:
- Social welfare is the total satisfaction on the society s a whole.
- Social welfare has been defined as, “an aggregate of the satisfaction of all individual in the society.” _ LoF
- The forestry sector has also a tremendous contribution in this respect.
- Forestry sector provides employment at high rates. This helps the people living in a rural area in their place.
- Forest area in each province during 1992-93.
- KPK 073 million ha
- Punjab 008 million ha
- Sind 024 million ha
- Balochs 115 million ha
- NAs 187 million ha
- AJK 147 million ha
- These forests allow the people to exercise main rights in order to cope with their livelihood.
- Farmlands and social forestry project has also raised the socioeconomic aspect of the lives of rural people.
- These all provide satisfaction and creates social welfare.
- Gross Domestic Product (GDP): The total value of all goods and services produced within a country in a year, minus net income from investments in other countries.
- Net National Product (NNP): the amount left after subtracting a depreciation allowance for capital goods from the gross national product.
For correction and improvements please use the comments section below.
NJMH is working as Deputy Conservator of Forests in Balochistan Forest & Wildlife Department (BFWD). He is the CEO of Tech Urdu (techurdu.net) Forestrypedia (forestrypedia.com), Majestic Pakistan (majesticpakistan.pk), All Pak Notifications (allpaknotifications.com), Essayspedia, etc & their YouTube Channels). He is an Environmentalist, Blogger, YouTuber, Developer & Vlogger.