Table of Contents
- The collapse of part of a mountainside or cliff so that it descends in a disintegrating mass of rocks due to the movement of underground water and earth is called landslip.
- If vegetation is removed, then slopes are suspected to move downward causing erosion.
- The main agent involved is underground water which when causes upper layer of soil to slide downward aided by gravity.
- We can plant trees to increase transpiration and to remove subsoil water.
- Engineering techniques may be helpful
- Diversion channels, Nalahs, and channels should be lined with stones
- Check dams will be constructed but the bottom bed or foundation of check dam should reach the rock
- Breast walls to hold the uphill slope
- Make slope less steep
Choice of Spp:
- All engineering works should be accompanied by afforestation and reforestation practices
- Selection of indigenous flora is logical to decrease the wetness of sub-soil layer.
- Spp will be fast growing, deep-rooted and evergreen and hardy as well
- Vegetative growth like from stakes, root suckers, cuttings, etc should be preferred like for poplar, willow, Robinia, etc
- Prevent from grazing and browsing.
Image: Snoqualmie Valley Record
For correction and improvements please use the comments section below.
Naeem Javid Muhammad Hassani is working as Conservator of Forests in Balochistan Forest & Wildlife Department (BFWD). He is the CEO of Tech Urdu (techurdu.net) Forestrypedia (forestrypedia.com), All Pak Notifications (allpaknotifications.com), Essayspedia, etc & their YouTube Channels). He is an Environmentalist, Blogger, YouTuber, Developer & Vlogger.