Pakistan Forest Institute Peshawar Academic Courses (Syllabus)
ACADEMIC COURSES – M.Sc. Forestry
Presentation & Communication Skills, Forest Biology/Mathematics, Forestry Statistics, Forest Biometrics, Principles of Economics, First Aid, Geology & Soil Sciences, Forest Ecology, Remote Sensing & Geographic Information System, Climate Change & REDD+ and Study Tour.
General Silviculture, Forest Mycology & Pathology, Forest Entomology, Forest Surveying, Forest Engineering (Building &Roads), Forest Utilization, Plant Taxonomy, Biodiversity Fish and Wildlife Management, Seminar on Silviculture, Study Tour.
Forest Management, Range Management, Watershed Management, Forest Policy & Law, Timber Technology, Forest Genetics, Disaster Preparedness & Management, Field Engineering, Park Management & Ecotourism, Study Tour.
Research Methodology, Sociology & Forest Extension, Public Administration, Forest Fire Prevention & Control, Forest Management Plan, Thesis, General Viva Voce, Conduct & Extracurricular activities.
ACADEMIC COURSES – B.Sc. Forestry
Functional English, Elementary Forest Biology/ Mathematics, Elementary Forest Economics, Pakistan Studies, Islamic Studies or Ethics, First Aid Safety & Scouting, Fundamental of Forest Ecology, Elementary Forest Statistics & Research Methodology, Introduction to Forest Geology & Soil Science, Biodiversity Conservation and MEAs, Forest Mensuration, Study Tour.
Fundamental of Remote Sensing & Geographic Information Systems, Elementary Silviculture, Taxonomy of Forest Vegetation, Basics of Forest Genetics, Introduction to Forest Mycology and Pathology, Introduction to Forest Entomology, Fundamentals of Forest Engineering (Buildings & Roads), Introduction to Climate Change & REDD+, Study Tour.
Basics of Forest Management, Fundamentals of Range Management, Basics of Watershed Management, Forest Law, Basics of Forest Utilization, Wood Science & Technology, Introduction to Fish & Wildlife Management, Field Engineering, Study Tour.
Fundamentals of Sociology & Forest Extension, Introduction to Public Administration, Forest Recreation & Ecotourism, Forest Accounting, Forest Fire Management, Forest Management Plan, Term Paper, General Viva Voce, Conduct & Extracurricular Activities.
ACADEMIC COURSES – BS Forestry
Biology, Mathematics, Introduction to Information &Communication Technologies, Introduction to Forestry (including study tour), English-I (Functional English), Pakistan Studies and Islamic Studies/Ethics (for non-Muslims).
Elementary Statistics, English-II (Communication Skills), Introduction to Environmental Science, Geology and Soil Science, Forest Pathology and Principles of Economics.
Sociology, Public Policy, Forest Genetics, Forest Ecology (including study tour), Forest Entomology, Plant Taxonomy and Forest Accounts and Procedure.
Forest Engineering-I, Biodiversity and Climate Change, Participatory Forestry, Non-wood Forest Products, Integrated Land use Management Systems, Introduction to GIS and RS, and Forestry Extension.
Energy Plantation and BioFuels, Forest Policy and Law, Wood Science and Technology, Forest Survey and Leveling, Silviculture-I and Forest Engineering-II.
Forest Management (including study tour), Watershed Management, Range Management, Wildlife Management and Forest Biometrics.
Ecotourism and Park Management, Forest Resource Economics, Silviculture-II and
At the start of 7th Semester students will have to select as specialization any one from the following disciplines:
1. Forest Management (Forest Inventory Techniques, Stand Level Planning and Sustained Forest Yield)
2. Watershed Management (Soil Conservation Techniques, Forest Meteorology and Forest and Range Hydrology)
3. Range Management (Range Vegetation Analysis, Livestock Nutrition and Grazing Management and Drought Management in Rangelands)
4. GIS and RS Technology (Geo-Informatics, Land use Planning and Forest Assessment and Monitoring)
5. Participatory Forest Management (Community Based Forestry, Participatory Forest Management and Planning, and Participatory Forest Assessment)
6. Sericulture (Silkworm Rearing, Silk Seed and Cocoon Technology and Moriculture)
7. Wood Sciences and Technology (Wood Harvesting Techniques, Wood Structure and Identification, Wood Testing and Processing and Wood-Based Products)
8. Wildlife Management (Wildlife Biology and Ecology, Wildlife Survey Techniques, Protected Area Management, Wildlife Policy, Laws, and Administration)
9. Agro-Forestry (Agro-Forestry systems, Farm Forestry Management and Marketing of Agro-Forestry Products).
10. Forest Engineering and Logging (Forest Machinery, Forest Logging and Applied Mechanics in Forestry)
11. Environmental Forestry (Environment and Forestry Environmental Pollution and Mitigation Measures, Environmental Impact Assessment EIA) and Environmental Policies and Laws).
12. Forestry and Climate Change (Forest Carbon and Climate Change Forest Carbon Market (REDD Clean Development Mechanism and other Carbon Trading Schemes and Trees in Changing Climate)
13. Non Wood Forest Products Production Technology of Medicinal Plants Pharmacognosy of medicinal plants, Sericultural Techniques. Apiculture Minor Forest Produce and Economics of Non-Wood Forest Products).
Forest Management Plan-I, Forest Management Plan-II, Research Methods and Scientific Writing and Research Project/Internship